Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Good Morning, Coffee!


I'm not sure what it is about coffee. Yes, it tastes great, but that can't be it alone. There's the caffeine - addictive and nice to have in the morning. Is it the combination of the two, or is there something deeper here?

For me, it's the way I can get that right color of mocha by pouring in the perfect amount of milk. The long (sometimes endless) waiting until I can pick it up and drink without burning off a few taste buds. That first warm sip while reading the paper and ignoring the sounds of fighting from the playroom. Ah, I'm in another world.

Some think good coffee comes from good beans. While there is some truth to this, I find that preparation makes more of a difference in flavor. I make my coffee in a french press, a manual, non-electric method using a carafe and plunger with strainer. It's dishwasher safe, completely portable and does not require a paper filter. I'm not trying to sell anything here, but it's beyond me why more people don't prepare their coffee this way. All you need are coffee grinds and hot water. The rest is delicious history!

For step-by-step instructions on how to use a french press, please read here.

No comments: