Monday, May 12, 2008

Broccoli Soup

I hesitate to call this Cream of Broccoli soup, because I didn't use a traditional recipe calling for heavy cream. I didn't have any on hand, and frankly, I'm not a big fan of soups that are too heavy and creamy.

I decided to make soup because I got overzealous at the bulk store and picked up more broccoli florets than my family could handle in a reasonable time. Before 4 cups of broccoli went to waste, I decided to turn it into soup. I've never made cream of broccoli soup before, but I figured I would just keep adding ingredients until it tasted good.

The end result was a tasty broccoli soup that was not too heavy but still had a hardiness to it. Enjoy!

For this recipe you will need: 4 cups broccoli florets, 2 stalks of chopped celery, 1 large chopped onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 4 cups stock, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup cream cheese, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.

In large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add celery and onion until soft. Add garlic cloves for another 3 minutes. Add broccoli florets and stock. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover. Once the broccoli is soft (about 6-8 minutes) blend in pot with immersion blender until smooth and well blended. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine well.

The final texture of the soup should be thick and creamy, but you will definitely notice the texture of the broccoli. Please note this recipe is not for a traditional cream of broccoli soup. I topped mine with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese for an added bite.

2 comments:

Marie Louise said...

This soup looks good! Will have to try it as a way to get my kids to eat some brocolli! I'm in CT too. I'll keep an eye on your recipes...

amycaseycooks said...

One of my daughters loves broccoli soup. I am putting your recipe on my menu for tomorrow. Thanks!!!