Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Whole Wheat Breakfast Squares


I baked these squares because I had too much stuff in the fridge - overripe bananas, blueberries that were about to go bad and about 4 strawberries. I guess I could've just eaten the strawberries, but I thought it would be fun to add 'em to the mix. And about the name - I don't really know how to go about naming my recipes sometimes. I want to get the main ingredients mentioned, but that sometimes makes for a very long name. So the official name of this is Whole Wheat Banana Blueberry Breakfast Squares. They are moist and not too sweet and best served with a hot cup of coffee.

I took a basic whole wheat blueberry muffin mix and tweaked it a bit. I decided to make squares because I was running late on time and I didn't feel like greasing muffin tins - thought it would be a lot quicker to grease a 12x8 pan.

For this recipe you will need: 2.5 cups whole wheat flour, 1.5 cups rolled oats, 2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 cup honey, 1 cup vegetable oil, 5 very ripe bananas, 4 strawberries (or more if desired), 2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup applesauce, 1 cup blueberries, sprinkle of sugar and butter for greasing the pan.

Combine in a large bowl flour, oats, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In separate bowl, mash bananas and strawberries and add honey, oil, vanilla and applesauce. Add the wet to the dry and stir until just moistened (do not overmix). Grease a 12x8 baking pan and spread the mixture evenly. Sprinkle the blueberries with sugar and distribute evenly over the top, pressing them into the mix lightly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares. Enjoy them warm from the oven, at room temperature or straight from the refrigerator.

4 comments:

Ali said...

Mmmmm, these look (and sound) really good. I may just have to give them a try this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
are you interested in link exchange with my blog?
please check
http://beauty-cooking.com
Thanks

Ann said...

Ooh, these look good AND healthy! I love it when necessity meets creativity and you end up with a new recipe! :)

Unknown said...

We would like to feature your breakfast bars on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/