Sunday, June 7, 2009

Diego Cake


I made this cake this past winter for my nephew's birthday, and I'm just getting around to posting pictures.

The bottom is a 9x13 cake, and then I made two 10" rounds to carve out the waterfall. The first round sits right on back left corner of the bottom. The second round is cut into two pieces (one smaller than the other) to give the step appearance of the waterfall.

After icing, I borrowed heavily from my son's Diego and Lego toys to decorate (after washing very well). I used chocolate covered raisins for the path and rocks.

For the water, I colored white icing with blue food coloring, but didn't mix it perfectly on purpose to give the water some shadows and white water effect. To add to the white water effect, I sprinkled white nonpareils where the water would crash.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this cake is absolutely adorable!My son saw it and said he wasnt one just like it...hope it looks this good!!

Anonymous said...

I love the cake! It's adorable. However, I am trying to make this for tomorrow and I baked the cakes tonight. I have 2-9" rounds, and a 10x13, but the 9" round is almost as big as the 10x13, so it's not looking like your cake. Is the bottom cake bigger, maybe 15x18? I hope you get this, I'm debating whether try to make it work with the 10x13 or baking a bigger cake! THanks! It's so cute!